Melanie Camellia (née Williams), E-RYT 200 & YACEP, is a fat, queer, non-binary yoga teacher and accessibility advocate in Washington, DC, called to create profoundly inclusive spaces for self-inquiry and the inward journey by integrating spiritual teachings and accessible, trauma-informed movement practices with the spirit of social justice. Melanie believes that the goal of yoga, as of life, is collective liberation, and in turn challenges contemporary yoga practitioners to dismantle the oppressive systems and beliefs, within themselves and society at large, that hold us all back. They’ve been called a “tour-de-force of encouraging radical self-love” and listed among the “top thinkers and activists in the field of body positivity.”
In addition to teaching group and private yoga classes, Melanie offers workshops that explore queer identity, body image, desire, pleasure, and agency. They champion diversity and equity in the yoga industry as a member of the Yoga & Body Image Coalition leadership team. They continue to serve as an expert adviser on diversity, accessibility, and ethics for the Yoga Alliance Standards Review Project and currently work with Accessible Yoga to help bring their teacher trainings and conferences to an ever-growing list of cities internationally.
Melanie is described by students as a welcoming, intuitive, and adaptively challenging teacher. Peers and mentors describe them as highly knowledgeable in their teaching, dedicated in their personal practice, and committed to their students. Melanie’s classes often include functional movement practices alongside more traditional alignment-based postures and flow elements that link breath and body.
- 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training: Capitol Hill Yoga, 2016
- 300-Hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Training: Circle Yoga, 2020-21 (in progress)
Noteworthy Continuing Education:
- Science of the Private Lesson Primer with Francesca Cervero: Circle Yoga, 2018
- Yoga for Trauma & PTSD with David Emerson: Wilmington Yoga Center, 2018
- Yoga for All Teacher Training with Dianne Bondy & Amber Karnes: Online, 2018
- Yoga Meets Science: Biomechanics and Breath with Jules Mitchell: Willow Street Yoga Center, 2018
- Accessible Yoga Teacher Training with Amber Karnes: Integral Yoga Center Richmond, 2018
- Yoga Deconstructed Training Weekend with Trina Altman: Willow Street Yoga Center, 2019
- Surviving Assault: Yoga Therapy as Early Intervention Following Assault or Trauma (Modules I & II) with Diana Tokaji: Willow Street Yoga Center, 2019
- The Nervous System, Yoga, and Mindful Movement & The Kinetic Core Canister with Diana Zotos Florio: Circle Yoga, 2020